Friday, December 19, 2008

Under Pressure and a PSA

Apparently I like to work under pressure. When I was in college and there was a big project or paper due, I was the one who ran into class in yesterday's clothes and make-up and turned in my work, careful not to smudge the ink because it was probably still wet, fresh from the printer. As I sat down with relief that I had finished and turned it in, I was always mildly surprised to see people who looked well-rested, like they hadn't stayed up all night working on their paper. When did they work on them I thought? Is there any other time to work on these kinds of things than the immediate 12 hours leading up to the deadline? Imagine my surprise when I heard people say they had been working on it for weeks. That's right weeks. And sometimes they even finished it days before it was due. Shocking. I would think maybe I should try this approach, after all they don't look nearly as frazzled or sleep deprived as I feel. But it never happened, not once. I guess it wasn't in my nature. (This work approach didn't translate into me failing all my classes either. I did pretty good, graduated, and even still remember some things I learned as I will illustrate later). So, the point of this long story? My nature doesn't change. There are 6 days left until Christmas and I have bought a total of three gifts so far. Two of those gifts are traveling to a far away land and our favorite missionaries. The other is the infamous Lego Castle set which I ended up buying on ebay. That means I have 99 percent of my gift buying left to do AND still leave myself enough time to wrap everything. To add a little more fun to the deadlines our 7th wedding anniversary is two days, another gift-buying occasion. If you are reading this and thinking "Great, she has me for Christmas this year", don't worry I do my best work under pressure. : ) So what have we been up to? Here are a few pictures...
When Tim was out of town for a couple of days, my mom and I took the kids to see Santa. They loved it. Braxton was even brave enough to sit on Santa's lap and mumble a few things he wanted. Jace was more than happy to recite to Santa his full list and when he noticed Brax was a little nervous and left a few things off his list, he let Santa know the rest of Braxton's list too. And just so Ashlyn wasn't left out, Jace told Santa all the things he thought she wanted too. I bet Santa wasn't sorry to see us leave : )
Since Grandma was there, they got to ride the train too. The loved riding in the caboose.

We also wrote letters to Santa. We didn't mail them, I have them up on the fridge. I told them we just keep them here and leave them out on Christmas Eve so Santa makes sure he leaves the right things. Here is Braxton's letter. He said the picture in the middle is a rainbow. I am not sure how that relates to his letter...but who knows how his little two year old mind works. (more on that later)


Here is Jace's letter. His pictures from L to R are Indiana Jones, a dinosaur, and a castle. He is doing pretty good with his reading and writing. He should be ready for kindergarten in the fall : )
Now here is my PSA (Public Service Announcement for those who are not acronym savvy). I will warn you right here that it is kind of gross, so feel free to move on to something else now. I am posting it despite this because I think that it may just help some poor mom like me sometime in the future. So Monday around lunchtime I went downstairs to get the boys for the delicious meal of Spagetti-Os I had prepared. Jace was engrossed in his latest Lego building project but Brax was kind of off by a corner trying to wipe his nose on his shirt and looking a little distressed. Jace called me over wanting to explain the design of his creation but I kind of kept my eye on Brax to see what he was doing. He kept trying to wipe his nose, even though he didn't appear to have a runny nose or anything. I called him over so I could take a closer look. He didn't have a runny nose so, like a good mom, I try to look up there to see if there was something stuck on the edge that I could wipe away for him. As I was looking, I didn't notice anything right away but then, waaaay in the back I noticed something white that didn't look like it belonged there. I had Jace run upstairs to get a flashlight and then laid Brax on the floor to get a better look. It was something pretty big and white and definently looked like a foreign object so I say, "Brax, do you know what is in your nose?" Brax: "Yes" Me: "So what is it?" Brax: " A Lego." A Lego?!?!? I try to stay calm because Brax is very sensitive but in my head I was thinking "Seriously?!? What in the heck possessed you to shove a Lego up your nose half way to your brain?!? After those thoughts subsided, now I was on to "What do I do about it?" I tried to reach it myself but just ended up shoving it further back there. Tweezers? No, that might tear up the inside of his nose. The vacuum hose? Besides completely freaking him out by coming at him with a big vacuum hose I was worried it might leave a big hickey like mark all around his nose and it wasn't likely to be successful. I really didn't want to load everyone up and take them to the InstaCare for this, plus have to pay a medical professional to extract a Lego from my son's nose. Then my college education came flooding back to me in a wonderful moment of insight. I had taken anatomy. I know how the airway passages work. I am CPR certified. So I push down the empty side of his nose to close it with one finger, then take a deep breath and make a seal around his mouth (if you are CPR certified you know what that means, if you aren't you should be, so look it up : ) and blow as hard as I can. The Lego shoots right out and hits me in side of the face. (I told you it was gross) Braxton jumps up, punches the air with his little fist and cries "You did it mommy!", and runs off without a tear. Now, if you actually got this far into the story you might be thinking "that was gross and she is really weird." I don't care. One day when one of your kids shoves something far up into the reaches of their little nose you will remember this story and then you, your untraumatized child, and your checkbook will thank me. Merry Christmas. : )



18 comments:

Janie said...

Thank you Kristin for sharing because I'm sure with my two boys that something eventually will get lodged into a dark hole that I will have to figure out a way to get it out!! I must say I love it when you post because there is always some crazy adventure you have had to go through. I'm sure you are preparing me for what my boys will do as they get older.

jgalke said...

Holy Cow Kristin! I'm a nurse at primaries and I would have never thought of that. NIce job. We are constantly picking up legos and giving the "babies eat legos" warning. I will now be more prepared. They are such cute boys. Thanks for the advice - and yes, I love your blog too!

Stan and Jamie said...

Very smart of you!! Kayden once shoved a nerd (you know, the candy nerds) up his nose and I tried for a while to grab it with tweezers, but lucky for me, eventually it just melted! I didn't think of your approach however! And I always remember you writing your papers last minute and getting 100 on them, I couldn't stand you for that!!! :) j/k, but I was one of those that usually had it done at least a day before and you always did better than me! So you must really work well under pressure!

Rasmussen Family said...

oh man. can't wait for christmas with these boys. they are always an adventure...makes you wonder what you would've done if Ashlyn were your first??

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! That is the funniest, most useful story I've heard in a LONG time. I'm sure I will have a child do that one day. Although, I did like the vacuum hose idea. :-) So, you have a lot to do in the next couple of days if you haven't started shopping or wrapping yet. You can do it! I will call you after Christmas to come help. Before Christmas is just to crazy for everyone (especially if you haven't started shopping, AND you wedding anniversary is in two days). I'm still a little sad too.

Goose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goose said...

Nice! I wouldn't have thought of that solution. We miss having your family close.

Julie said...

Kristin I just want you to know that I really enjoyed that post. And I will totally keep that in mind for when Mason gets older. Your posts crack me up and I always look forward to the latest installment. Oh and by the way it was really good to have Tim and your Dad here in St. George for a couple days! Merry Christmas.

Brock

Shelli said...

That is one of the funniest stories that I have ever heard! If there is ever and emergency at our house I am calling you first tot see if you have any ideas to fix it!

Cissy said...

I can't believe you thought of that CPR stuff! That is absolutely amazing.

You make me laugh, Kristin.

Megan said...

That was HILARIOUS!

Heather said...

I would have never thought to do that nor do I think I would have dared to do it!!! I will call you if Cayden ever shoves a lego up his nose!!!:) Smart idea about the Santa letters! I am going to remember that one for next year:)

Lindsay said...

I LOVE YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

JulesandBriPoulson said...

That is absolutely hilarious! You have quick thinking under pressure... That is excellent advice for any mom.
Anyway, I hope you were able to do your shopping and that your Christmas turned out great!

Rasmussen Family said...

I had a dream last night I just had to tell you about because it was about braxton and jace! I was with them shopping at the mall or something, but it was a mall with underground parking (that has really nothing to do with the dream though) and anyway, Braxton was in a diaper, but he told me when he had to go to the bathroom and his diaper was dry all day. Oh and besides jace and brax, I was holding a baby, but it wasn't Ashlyn...
just thought I'd tell you we're all concerned as you about brax being potty trained:) Can't wait til he's out of diapers!!

Ellsworth Family said...

You are hilarious! I miss you! :(
I hope your Christmas was nice and that you got all of your shoppoing done in time!

Rasmussen Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stan and Jamie said...

Hahaha...I had to re-look up this post of yours, still laughing about it! And especially the fact that I AM thanking you now for that little bit of advice! KIDS!