Monday, August 3, 2009

Is It Okay to Throw Up?

More about throwing up in a minute. First, ummm where did July go?? We have been busy playing, so busy that I didn't take pictures of 99% of what we did. So you will just have to imagine these pictures.

Here we are having fun swimming a watching fireworks on the 4th of July.


Here is Jace taking swimming lessons. He loved his teacher. She was like 17 and named Ashley. He tried to convince me to let him give her multiple pieces of my jewelry. He got a "report card" on the last day. She said "Jace is a fish! Keep swimming. He was so fun to have in class!" He hung it up on our fridge.

Here we are at our favorite waterpark. The kids love swimming and we did a lot of it in July. The first time we went Braxton was so excited he ran and jumped in the pool before I could put his floaties on. Thankfully Brennan was right there to pull him out, but Brax was traumatized for a while and wouldn't move past the steps. He got braver though and by the end of the month was going down all the biggest slides with Jace.

Here is Ashlyn. She has expanded her vocabulary a lot this month. It now includes uh-oh, bye, ready, set, go!, water, ball, almost every animal noise and name, and almost all the family names. She thinks she is the boss.

(This one I am really sad we don't have pictures of.) Tim's extended family reunion. It was a fun camping trip with lots of fun people. Almost all of the immediate family was there (we missed you Leslie and baby M!) and the boys had fun playing with their cousins, making smores and sleeping in the trailer (thanks again Rebekah!!!). During the talent show Jace decided that he would like to share a talent without informing anyone beforehand or practicing, and led everyone in the "Bear Hunt" song. It was funny. Braxton really enjoyed using nature's big bathroom (anywhere there was a tree). Ashlyn enjoyed trying to eat as much dirt as possible.

This next one I have actual pictures of. My side of the family took a trip to my grandparents cabin in CO. It is beautiful there. I have proof.
This is from a lookout near their cabin. It was even prettier in person. Good thing too because it took us 10 hours in the car to get there. (I really shouldn't complain though, the kids were amazingly good and happy. I like to believe it was because of the 100 prayers I said beforehand pleading that they would be good travelers.)

Here are my favorite people standing a little too close to the edge of the lookout for my comfort.


Here are the owners of the cabin and our gracious hosts. (I didn't actually get a picture of the cabin...I am just happy I remembered the camera at all.) My Papa is probably the most genuinely good person I know. My Nana is one of my favorite people to talk to. I love them. They are watching the 24th of July parade in the little town down in the valley near their cabin.

Here are my patriotic boys as the flag passed opening the parade.

Ashlyn sharing some of the candy she got that was thrown from the floats.

She LOVED the horses in the parade. I am sure if she could have said it she would have asked her daddy to get her one to take home.

This is a waterfall we hiked to one morning. I have made this hike lots of times growing up. I think the first time I remember I was around 5. It was fun to take my own kids there. It is a beautiful spot.

Ashlyn being held securely by Tim. She wanted to dive right in.

Jace being silly (does anyone know of any 5 year old boys that aren't silly?) and throwing huge rocks into the water.

Ashlyn loved throwing little rocks in the water.

Braxton was amazed at how big it was. It seemed big to me, so I can imagine how much bigger it seemed to my little 3 year old Brax.


Silly boys in front of the run off pool.

This is how Ashlyn hiked the trail. She loved this little pack (thanks Shelli!) and fell asleep on the hike back to the cars.

The view at the beginning of the trail. So pretty. My camera and photography skills don't do it justice.

Back to the 24th. (sorry they are out of order) There was a carnival after the parade. Where do they find the people that work at carnivals seriously? Is it a requirement to look as scary as possible? I remember being scared of them when I was little, and I am still scared of them. The boys loved all the rides though.

Jace was excited to be tall enough to go this ride. Braxton was really sad he wasn't.

He was consoled by being able to ride the train which he loved. Jace is next to him.

Ashlyn loved the merry-go-round and rode it two times in a row.

One of their favorite rides. The big "Fun Slide" that you ride a big gunny sack down.

Here they are on the way down.


At the creek by the cabin. They both fell in trying to climb on rocks within the first 5 minutes we were there.

Even though she is smiling, Ashlyn was mad I wouldn't let her fall in too.

Our little diva in Elyse's sunglasses.
It was a fun trip, but it is always good to be home!
Now to the throw up. Jace's first day of Kindergarten is tomorrow. He is fine. I feel like throwing up just thinking about it.
He is so excited that 5 of his little friends are in his class. I get teary when we pass the school. He loves his new backpack. I am hoping that somehow this day gets postponed.
Why? I am not sure. I am not worried about him being ready. He can read pretty well already, can write and can count to 100 by ones, fives, tens. I think it is because this is just the end of all his time being my time. Sure he went to preschool, but any mom knows that is totally different than kindergarten. If we wanted to do something else it was easy to miss a day of preschool. Who cared? But now he has to be there because it is a big school and people care if he has a lot of unexcused absences. I think that is another thing that makes me nervous, it just seems so big. And to me, he is still just my little guy. What if he is sad and there is no one to make him feel better? What if he has a bad day? What if...? And Kindergarten just brings first grade closer which means he will be gone for 7 hours of the day...don't even get me started on that.
I have thought it through and have only come up with two options: 1) Suck it up and send him to Kindergarten or 2) homeschool him...and since #2 is definitely not an option for us tomorrow morning I will take him to Kindergarten. Excuse me while I go throw up.
(I realize that many millions of moms have survived sending their children to Kindergarten. Tim tells him it will all be okay. None of this helps. The rational part of my brain is not strong enough to stamp the knot out of my stomach. I realize I will probably laugh at this one day when I have sent all my kids to Kindergarten. But now...not laughing yet. : )

10 comments:

Heather said...

It is a sad day when your first goes to Kindergarten!! Let me tell you it doesn't get easier with 1st grade since I am lucky to experience that one in two weeks!! I will let you know if there is hope for you next year:) You should get all of you with Kindergartners to go out to breakfast tomorrow morning, then you don't cry so much (at least that worked for me since I don't like to cry in front of people)!!:)

Elyse said...

Yes we must make that a monthly event! So, we can zip each others' dresses for each other :) But, really we had fun. Thanks for inviting us!

Brooke said...

Welcome back! I love it when you blog . . . ps we need to plan a get together!

Stan and Jamie said...

I am sorry about kindergarten starting...it DOES get easier, but that first week is hard (for moms, not so much the kids!) Kyler's was all-day so now that he's going to first grade, I'm used to it...and to be honest, I am SOOOOO ready for him to go back to school and Kayden to go back to pre-school...you'll get there :)

Kelly said...

You guys have been busy. No wonder we haven't seen you for a while. So much for walking 3 times a weeks huh? Life gets so busy! The place where your cabin is located is gorgeous. Fun pictures (the ones you had) :-) We're not sending Ryan for one more year. I'm nervous for you though. Good luck! And let me know how it goes.

Rasmussen Family said...

we're praying, don't worry.

Sara said...

I am not looking forward to that day - I know I'll be a crybaby. (Kindergarten) I liked all the non-pictures ;-) Looks like you've had a fun month!!

jgalke said...

OK my last comment didn't show up. I'll try again (it was a good one j/k) I told Neil I thought Davis was nervous and he looked at me and said "i wonder why?". I kinda snapped out of the crying after that. BTW thanks so much for the zucchini bread. It was awesome just like everything else you make. THANK YOU!

Rebekah said...

oh my gosh i could cry too just thinking about sending my kids to school. sounds silly but i really understand!! looks like you guys really did have a great July!!

Ellsworth Family said...

Let me just start by saying, it is SOO mush worse sending him to 1st grade. At least you have the rest of the afternoon with the little guy. Being gone all day is so sad, and it has only been two days! :) I hope I can get over it too. They love it so much, it is just hard on us moms.
Miss you!!