Monday, August 24, 2009

Note To Self...In Case I Forget

Do you ever have things happen and you think, "I have to remember this", or "There is no way I could forget this..", only to find that your memory fades and before you know it you only have a little foggy shadow of whatever it was you were trying to remember. If this happens to you, join my club. If not, go away. (just kidding, be grateful you have such a stellar memory, you are the envy of many people, including me).

So, after that preface, here is my note to self of some things I don't want to forget.

Dear Me-

1. Don't try and sleep in on school days. Just don't. Get up early, exercise, get everyone breakfast, ready and out the door (for those that go somewhere). The whole morning goes better.

2. Remember the cute way Jace tells you about his school day. Recess is the favorite part of almost everyday, he also reports on who cried and /or was a whiner at school that day, who got to be the special helper and who his favorite friend was that day. You know all the important things...

3. Remember how hard you and Tim laughed at a family baby shower over the weekend when you took Jace to the bathroom, he spotted the shower and said "oh is that the baby's shower?"

4. Always put Braxton in the cart at Target. Don't let him out. He will be unable to resist running away to the toy area while you have your back turned for a millisecond and will be the object of a "Code Yellow". You will be paged to the front as Mommy Prusse and the employees will glare at you for losing your child. You won't be happy. This has happened more than once...learn your lesson. (Anyone who knows how fast Brax can run will not blame me for this.)

5. Remember the way Brax looks when he smiles. His whole face smiles. Take a second everyday to enjoy his big blue eyes. Remember the way he says "ohhhh" after every question you answer for him. It is dang cute.
6. Keep Ashlyn out of the kitchen. She knows where the messiest stuff is and you will end up cleaning up an entire box of baking soda off of the floor. Or two whole bottles of Mrs. Dash's seasoning. Or something else like that.
7. Remember the way Ashlyn's little voice sounds when she says "I love momma" or how she says "no" to everything even when she means yes. Or the way she tries to run with the boys, but it ends up being a speed walk. Or the way she climbs up on the couch, says "ready, set, go" and slides to the floor. Get lots of sloppy kisses everyday.
8. Never buy Doritos. You can't resist them and end up eating way to many. Even if they are on sale. Don't. Buy Cheetos instead, you hate those. They won't even tempt you.

9. Kindergarten is great. It is not to short, not too long and so far, lots of fun. Don't cry when Brax goes. There is no reason, they love it...

Especially when they have a class full of friends... (I don't know why Jace is smiling like that, I think he thinks it looks cool)

10. Tell Brax to never open the fridge for Ashlyn. This is what she likes to do. (She looks guilty doesn't she.)

11. This was your favorite dress of Ashlyn's the summer she was one. She looks good in bright colors. Buy her lots of clothes in these colors. Or any colors. Just buy her lots of clothes.

12. When you have an overabundance of zucchini from your garden and you don't know what to do with it, make this cake. It is delicious and it will make Tim love you even more than he already does and will inspire him to do the dishes multiple times in one week.


13. Always make Ashlyn wear a helmet when riding in the Jeep with Brax as a driver. Brax isn't the best driver and it is just safer this way. Also make him stick to the turtle gear. He can't handle the rabbit yet. (just remember the yellow flowers and tree he ran over. They are still trying to recover.)
14. Remember how cute Ashlyn was playing duck, duck, goose tonight in FHE. She would tap her own head and say duck, showing she wanted to be picked when she was sitting in the circle, and then when it was her turn she would walk around the circle all by herself touching everyone's heads and saying duck, just like a big girl. She loved it.
15. Remember college football season will come to an end even though around November you will start to forget what it was like to see Tim on Saturdays.
16. Tell your kids how much you love them everyday. Give them lots of kisses even if they don't always want them.
17. Give Tim lots of kisses every day. He always appreciates it.

18. Appreciate moments like this when they are each other's best buds.
19. Don't ever drink caffeine after 3 pm. You won't be able to fall asleep until like 2 am. ( I should probably say "never drink caffeine at all", but lets be real, I get up at 6:10 every day.)
20. Don't keep your hair the same color for over a year. You get tired of it and end up very anxious to change it. (Good-bye blonde hair soon...)
21. Love your life, find joy in the journey, count your blessings, don't forget to pray, and serve others.
Love- Me
P.S. Thanks for the pictures Jenn. : ) You can tell which ones she took for me...they are the good, not blurry ones.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

First...you should not have put a picture of your zucchini cake on there. Now I want some. You make the best! Good for you getting up before the kids and working out and stuff. I can see how it would make the day go better. You are my inspiration. I can't believe you scheduled! We'll talk when I can actually talk. I've been told it is very worth 2 weeks of heck...but we'll see.

Shelli said...

Your kids are so cute! I am glad that kindergarten is going well.
I would like that recipe for the cake and if you have an over abundance of zucchini you can send some my way. Our plants all died. How does that happen, seriously! Zucchini grows like weeds.
Love your posts, as always!

jgalke said...

So far the report from Kindergarten from my house is that they play basketball at recess, do centers & that his teacher is always forgetting things. I ask for the crier/whiner/trouble maker report (hoping its not him) and all he says is "i don't remember or I don't know his name". Do you think that's a sign that maybe it was him? Hmmmm. Thanks - your posts are always entertaining.

Sara said...

I agree with kelly, the cake looks yummy! What a fun post. I agree with so many of them! I have the same problem (I won't forget this super cute thing Brad said, or Gavin did, and then I do. Like an hour later). Sigh. Can't wait to see what you do with your hair!

Heather said...

I need the recipe for that cake!! I am so excited for the boys to start soccer:) We for sure need to get the boys together. We need to get to know little boys now that Carlie is gone all day (mostly for my sanity)!!:) It looks like you and I both get to enjoy what Kelly has experienced!! Unfortunately for me I have to go last, I am getting my tonsils out the end of October! I will have to hear your horror story next so I can be completely traumatized before I get them out!!:)

Elyse said...

They are SO dang cute! I love the picture of Ashlyn after destroying the fridge. You make me want to have babies.

Janie said...

Cute post!! Your kids are so cute. Enjoy this year of Kindergarten. So far I think this year is definitely harder for me. It's sad that these little moments that mean so much are definitely the ones we forget first. What a great idea!!

Jenn Whitesides said...

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten. Jace is in kindergarten and Ashlyn is talking! Your post was great because I definitely can relate in the bad memory factor. You've inspired me to journal some of my important memories of everyday life that I "think" I'll never forget. Your cake looked amazing by the way...that is something I can never know the recipe of or my waistline would seriously suffer! No self-control when it comes to chocalote!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Kristin! Thanks for reminding us all whats most important.

Mary Jane said...

Great post. Please post recipe for cake. I have oodles of zucchini and my family would love it in chocolate cake! And since I don't eat chocolate, I won't be tempted to eat it! :) I'll be checking back for the recipe...thanks

Eden said...

Loved this post. it is so inspiring to hear what you love about your life. Such sweet moments. And fun photos.

shauna snow said...

Loved this post!! So true in life, when we want to remember the most important thing in life and we don't. Love that you wrote them down. Your kids are darling, i can't believe how big ashlyn is and that you have a kindergarten. Time flies!! Can't wait to do your hair!!!!

Cissy said...

Kristin, I haven't been over here for so long, but wanted to tell you I loved this post. You are a darling mom to those darling kids. I keep planning to post a bunch of random family stuff, and after reading your thoughts, maybe I really will this time. Love being able to stay in touch with you.

Also, I love Cheetos. Give them to me.