Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Here is the recipe for this yummy chocolate cake...as requested. : ) I like to think it is healthy because it has 2 cups of zucchini in it. If you let your eyes glaze over the rest of the ingredients you can think so too!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

-3/4 c. shortening
-2 c. sugar
-3 eggs
-2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 CUPS SHREDDED ZUCCHINI (see how easy it is to focus on that : )
-2/3 c. cocoa
-2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 c. milk
-2 1/2 c. flour
-1 c. chocolate chips (it is usually a very generous cup)
- 1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream shortening with sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Sift cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flour together. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then add the milk. Stir in zucchini, then chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into a greased bundt cake pan and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Allow cake to rest for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Let cake cool almost completely then drizzle the glaze over the top.

Glaze

-1/2 c. whipping cream
-1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat whipping cream in saucepan until almost boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips until they are all melted.

Thanks to Doris my amazing MIL who's recipe this is originally. (mostly...I tweaked it just a little.) My in-law family have introduced me to the wonderful world of zucchini and squash. I am not even kidding when I say I had never tasted zucchini or yellow squash before I married Tim. I am converted now and have Doris to thank for many great recipes that help me know what to do with it. I will post her zucchini bread another time...it is the best ever. Seriously.)

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks. I'm excited to try it.

Sara said...

I love zucchini! I have a zucchini bar recipe that is sooo yummy! I'll have to try your cake recipe, looks delicious. I've also tried my friend's zucchini brownie recipe. Also really good. Don't you love feeling better about eating dessert because it has zucchini in it? ;-)

Heather said...

Thanks, I was hoping you were going to post that recipe!!

Nana said...

Kristin,
Your cake looks terrific! And the glaze makes the cake look so grand.
I have even tweaked the recipe myself and instead of the milk I use the same amount using buttermilk. I think that it makes it very moist. What could be healthier than zucchini?
Doris ;0)

Mary Jane said...

Thanks for posting! Can't wait to try the recipe. I have a zucchini just waiting to be eaten!!

Elyse said...

That looks AMAZING. And yes please put up the zucchini bread! We loved it! I think we ate a half a loaf before the temple that one night :)