Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Birthday Boy

Dear Jacer racer roo-

Really? Did you really just turn 6? I don't see how that is possible considering I just had you. I remember the day you were born perfectly, just like it was yesterday...maybe that's why it seems like it wasn't that long ago. The day you were born a part of me was born too, the mommy part of me. We have grown up together these last six years. The day they said I could take you home from the hospital I felt like saying to the nurse, "Umm, I don't think you understand. I don't really know how to take care of this tiny little baby. I think I might brake him. Wouldn't it just be best for everyone if I stayed here a little longer in case he cries and won't stop or we never figure out this nursing thing?" I felt as new as you were.

We made it though. Through that first month, and year and the others that followed. We have a special bond, you and me, because everything that is new to you is new to me too. I wanted to throw up the first time you got shots, was so anxious the first time you were sick, was amazed at every milestone you passed, was more nervous than you were on your first day of preschool and then it was the same the first day of kindergarten. Every triumph you have I feel too, every heartbreak, I think I feel twice as much. I love your brother and sister just as much but I feel much calmer and more assured about everything they do, because I have already done it with you. : )
On a birthday breakfast date with my birthday boy, just the two of us.
There are so many things to love about you. You have such a good heart. You hate to see other people sad. (Except Braxton sometimes, when he has pushed one too many of your buttons). You like to make people laugh and think the best way to do that is to be as silly as possible. You are a smarty pants and are better than me at fixing anything electronic in our house.
I love to see your little testimony of the gospel start to grow. I will never forget on about your fifth day of kindergarten when you decided to pray to be the special helper in your class that day. You really, really wanted to and were sure if you asked Heavenly Father to help you, it would happen. My imperfect faith made me worry what would happen to your testimony of prayer when you weren't picked. Because I mean really, you were one of twenty-one, not great odds. Then you came home that day, huge smile on your face and told me how you had been picked to be the special helper and that Heavenly Father helped you. Tears filled my eyes as I realized that you knew, even when I forgot, that your prayer would be heard by a loving Heavenly Father who cared whether or not you were the special helper in kindergarten on that specific day. Thanks for the reminder.
I love you little guy. It has been fun to grow up as a mommy with you and a joy to watch you grow. I love you more than you will ever, ever know.
Love-
Your mom
Eating his birthday breakfast...

...and so proud when he ate the whole thing. (in case you were wondering, yes, that is root beer in his cup, but it was his birthday : )

His Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Lego set that he really did want, despite the somewhat forced smile on his face. That set brings our Lego grand total to around a billion...or at least it seems that way.

We just got a regular cake from the store for his family birthday party so he decided to dress it up with some of his Legos. Here we have the castle dragon about to eat some guys while a Star Wars storm trooper shoots him.
Here was his real cake, the next day at his friends birthday party. Everyone was excited when they found out they could eat the picture.

About to blow out the candles...

In case you haven't guessed, it was a Star Wars party. All the boys were Jedi-in-Training and had to pass off certain "training missions" and then got their Jedi Knight certificate. Here they are attacking Darth Vader (Tim) with water balloons. Tim is a good sport.

One of the favorite missions...the pod racer obstacle course. They all seemed to have a good time. I never fully appreciated how much work birthday parties are. Thanks mom for all my parties. (Better late than never, right?)


On to other things...like our beloved Cougars. Ashlyn is one happy supporter even though it looks like Tim's annual preseason prediction of a national championship will have to wait at least another year. She learned to say "cougar" to make her daddy's day.

Braxton started preschool. He loves it and was so excited to finally start after watching Jace go. (he started like a month ago but obviously I am running behind. They are also both playing soccer and it is so dang cute. Look for pictures of that sometime around Thanksgiving.)
I figured I better post the last months news now because on Friday I am getting my tonsils out. It is long overdue and today the dread has set in. On Monday I went to see the doctor for my pre-op appointment. I wasn't too apprehensive yet and maybe he could sense it or something, so to bring me back to reality he tells me "You will be in a lot of pain. You will want to kill me it will hurt so much but you won't be able to because you will be so weak from not eating anything you won't be able to get here. It will hurt way to much to swallow any food. Ever since then I have been appropriately apprehensive. Crap. What have I gotten myself into? I will let you know.
*One silver lining: Not eating for two weeks should help me lose those last 10 pounds of baby weight that won't go away. I plan to get family pictures soon after and will force my mom to send one of those out in their family Christmas card this year. Mostly to make up for the horrific picture from last year. It was from my sister's wedding, you know, the one where I lost my shoe. And was wearing the very unflattering dress. And the ugly replacement shoes. And most of my Ashlyn weight still. I still cringe when I think about how many people that picture was sent to. Bleah.

10 comments:

Sara said...

Looks like Jace had a great birthday! I can't believe he's 6. I know what you mean about experiencing everything for the first time with your oldest, I feel that way with Brad too.

You're getting your tonsils out huh? Well... I won't tell you about the girl's I know who have done that as adults. I did it at 8 and it was awful. Let me know if you need anything. Brad always loves having your boys come over to play, so if you need a break, send them over!

Also, how did I not remember you are from Florida? I thought it was somewhere back east, but not from there. We did love Cocoa beach, it was a fun trip (that didn't last long enough!).

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Jace!!! You are so good at writing down exactly how you feel!!:) Your kids are going to treasure having that one day to look back at:) Good luck Friday!!!

Stan and Jamie said...

Happy birthday Jace!! I also can't believe we have six year olds :( Man, good luck on Friday, hope you're not in too much pain!!

Elyse said...

Cute kids. And sorry I made you wear an unflattering dress...good luck with your surgery, and let us know if you need anything! Love you!

Kristin said...

Elyse, it wasn't you...it was me. The dress looked good on everyone else : )

Janie said...

Good luck with the tonsil thing!! Maybe I need to have mine out just so I won't eat for two weeks:)

Rebekah said...

kristin- You should be a writer. I love reading your posts. I cried (Yes I really did) when you wrote about Jace's prayer. What a sweetheart. And seriously it is so true that we parents somehow feels our children's heartache way more than they do. I hope the whole tonsil surgery goes well and you don;t hurt as bad as the doctor is telling you you will. I will call and check on you....maybe I should call Tim, I am not sure if you will be able to talk.... LOve you! See you soon (I hope)

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Jace! I love your posts I'm glad you did one before you are under the weather. Are you eating anything yet? (probably not). When I'm out and about I'll call you and bring you a Jamba! Those always helped me (but eat it with a spoon, the straw hurts). Oh and I think the doctor probably scared you more than I did!! :-)

Ellsworth Family said...

Man I miss you guys. How did the big surgery go? It was great as a 5-year old: nothing but popsicles and ice cream all day! :)
I'm sure being a mom on top of the pain isn't a great combo though...
Hope everyone is well and enjoying your freezing weather!

Stan and Jamie said...

ya, so I'm dying to know if you survived your surgery ;)