Really? Is it really December? Anyone with me on this? The past couple months have been pretty crazy around here. (sometimes crazy fun and sometimes just crazy) So here are some of the good, bad and the gross from our family to yours.
-The last time I wrote I was getting ready to get my tonsils out. I did go through with it and I obviously didn't die, which was my biggest fear. It actually started out pretty good. The day of my surgery I went in, took the standard pre-surgery pregnancy test (it was negative, I will end the suspense about that right now), and got taken to my holding area/room. There they outfitted me with my one size fits all paper gown. It could have fit like, oh I don't know, twenty of me in it. The nurse was really excited to explain to me its self-heating feature. See, if I got too cold I could just punch myself in the stomach which would pop some sort of bag that would make my gown heat up. She was pretty disappointed I never got cold enough to use it. I didn't tell her I really just didn't want to punch myself in the stomach. Anyways, there was a six year old scheduled after me who was getting really impatient. (I know can you believe it, an impatient six year old?) My nurse nervously informed me they had moved her ahead of me, but to compensate me they would give me a gift card to my favorite mall. At first I thought, "wow I must have come across mean. Did she think I would yell at her or something?" Then I didn't care because essentially I got paid $30 to watch Gilmore Girls which I totally would have been happy to do for free.
-My mom was amazing and came up everyday for a week to do all the stuff I normally do, while I took naps and laid on the couch watching Food Network. (I was starving, like actually, really starving but somehow watching other people fix and eat food made me feel a little better.) One of the first couple of days she was here Braxton was doing his usual laps around the house. I was in my bed on heavy duty pain meds kind of in and out of it. I vaguely remember my mom telling Braxton not to come in my room so I could sleep or something, so, unbeknownst (I can't believe I just used that word) to anyone else Brax locked my door from the inside and closed it. A little while later, I decided I needed to get up and go to the bathroom. I stood up and that is all I remember. The rest of the story is filled in by details from my mom and Braxton. I must have passed out as soon as I stood up and fallen straight over into the wall because my mom said she heard a loud bang and came running to find...the door locked and me not answering. She said she frantically started looking for a key or something but couldn't find one. Brax came over to help and told her there was a key to open the door and he would get it for her. Her relief was short lived when he came running back and handed her her own car keys. She said she tried a BBQ skewer, a screwdriver, a spoon (which Brax brought her) and a knife with no luck. She was getting really nervous that I was just laying there bleeding so she went to the backyard, pulled the baby slide/swing thing over to window and climbed on its roof, pulled the screen off, jimmied the window open and climbed through it to help me. She found me on the floor, put me back into bed and then rescued Braxton who followed her and was trying to climb through the window too but got tangled in the blinds. I know, she is amazing. It is also nice to know your mom will climb through a window to save you whether you are eight or twenty-eight.
-Crack is wack kids. Okay, it wasn't crack, it was Lortab, but me and drugs don't mix. I am sorry if you called and I hung up on you mid sentence. Or just babbled on like a crazy person. One time I was talking to a friend on the phone about rides for kids somewhere or something like that and after I hung up, Tim asked me what she said. I said I had no idea so he had to call her right back to find out what was going on. The funny thing about this story is that they both remember it and laugh about it, but I don't remember anything like that ever happening. I was grateful to have the pain pills at the time but I am glad to be able to remember what people say to me now. (for the most part, if I forget something now it is just me, not drugs : )
- The fun doesn't end there, oh no. On day 9 post-surgery I got these blister type sores on the left side of my throat where it was supposed to be healing. I tried not to talk or move and even stopped taking my pain meds for like 12 hours because I was afraid the blisters would pop. To ease my suffering I watched a Supernanny marathon which I had never seen before, but now love. Anyways, that night around 4 I woke up with a gross, sticky-feeling mouth. I got up to get a drink and when I got back to bed I realized I was still swallowing a lot even though I wasn't drinking anymore. I grabbed my trusty flashlight and headed to the bathroom to check it out. I opened my mouth to a movie scene. My teeth were all covered in blood, my whole mouth was full of blood and I was white as a ghost. I yelled or something and Tim took one look at me, got lightheaded and got back in bed. He does not have a stomach of steel and I looked freaking scary. I started spitting the blood into a cup, first to see how much I was actually bleeding and second, just to stop swallowing it because I didn't know how long I had been gulping it down in my sleep. I was worried about waking the doctor up so I just wanted to wait until morning to do something. ( I know, crazy-I am a people pleaser to a fault-plus I was not really with it) Thankfully, Tim recovered enough to realize the cup was filling up with blood too fast and that we shouldn't wait. He called the doctor, got me dressed, wrapped me up in a blanket (I was starting to go into shock and was shivering) and carried me and my cup to the car. The drive down there was pretty quiet during which I had the following thoughts, 1) I have never seen Tim drive this fast. I hope he doesn't get pulled over because that will be one huge ticket. (It didn't occur to me that he might be let off the hook once the officer saw me wrapped up in a blood stained blanket spitting more blood into a half-full cup.) 2) I could never be a vampire, blood is so gross. (I am not sure why I thought that, I do realize there are not really vampires...) 3) This is a lot of blood. I hope I am okay. (That was the one I thought the most)
We got to the ER and within 20 minutes I was back in surgery getting that left side redone. Then as an extra bonus they pumped all the blood I had swallowed out my stomach. It was basically like starting all over, plus I was out a couple pints of blood. (I was trying to think of something I could add here, like "But the silver lining was..."so I didn't sound too whiny, but all I could come up with was "the silver lining was I didn't die." It was not one of the high points of my life : )
- I should thank everyone here who helped me pretty much all of October. My mom and sis-in -law Carissa each took a week coming over every day, and I have great friends who brought us meals, brought me treats, took my kids to do fun things, brought me "get well soon" presents and called to check on me. My mother-in-law came over at 5 minutes notice to take care of the kids while we went back to the hospital and brought us yummy food. It was all very, very appreciated. Tim was amazing. He took the best care of me and the kids and never complained. I am sure he got some gold stars in heaven for all he did : )
-I will never eat soup again. But bonus, I fit into my jeans that I wore pre-Jace. (Thats right, I still have jeans from 7 years ago. I knew I would fit into them again someday. ) If you want to lose weight just eat soup and only soup. It can't have anything in it either, just the broth. You will hate it and be starving, but you will be in skinny jeans before you know it. : )
-Just after I recovered Brax got the flu (on Halloween night, no trick-or -treating for him), Jace got pneumonia, and now Ashlyn has croup. We are doing our best to support the medical services industry.
-Seriously though, we are all doing great. Jace is having lots of fun in kindergarten and is reading at a second grade level. Braxton is doing great in preschool and can now do a front flip off the couch, and Ashlyn has recently added "gosh dang it" to her vocab.
-Yeah for Christmas in 23 days!!!! It is my first Christmas since 2004 not being pregnant or having a nursing baby so I am planning to send out Christmas cards for the first time in our marriage. (I don't know why I feel like I can't get anything done if I am pregnant or have a tiny baby) If you want one, email me your address. I might only do them once a decade.
-Our computer broke last night, and before that our camera did. So no pictures. Unless you want to click on the link on the side of the page and says "view my photos" and look through our recent attempt at family pictures. It includes my side of the family too. If you do look let me tell you a few things up front. I know my kids look spazzy in most of the pictures. Getting their picture taken a hundred times in a row is right up there with going to the dentist for them. Plus Ashlyn was scared of the camera and the photographer. I know that I cannot smile normally in a picture to save my life. I don't know why, maybe I should take lessons from the rest of my photogenic family. There were a few in there I liked though, and some of the kids that I loved so take a look if you feel like it has been way too long since you have seen us. : ) Password: field
-Thanks for reading this. I know it was long. I am assuming someone made it to the end. I was going to include my Black Friday shopping experience take two. But that will have to be next time : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Oh Kristin, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I figured if you didn't post soon I'd be knocking down your door. I am SO sorry you had to go through with that. It is the worst thing ever and I never did have it as bad as you. Were you okay after you passed out? That's crazy. That was sure nice of your mom to rescue you like that. When were you able to start eating again? Are you doing okay now?? Does food taste different to you? Sorry about all the sickness in your house also. I hope you all get better soon.
I can't wait for the black friday post. What is Jace asking for this year? (I need ideas for Ryan).
Oh man, that sounds like it was an awful ordeal!!! You are definitely a super trooper! I hope all your kiddos get well soon, you guys deserve a break! I'm definitely excited for you black friday experience story...last year's was great! :)
Love hearing the updates! We should get together and Christmas shop:)
Ugh, how awful!! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that, but yeah for weightloss!! ;-)
I'm glad you're all doing better. :-)
Maybe I can copy your story and just change a couple minor details, like bleeding two days later instead of nine!!!:) You make everything sound so hilarious (that is why we all will come to you when we need something important written!!:) I am glad you are doing better now and best of all you can fit into your "skinny jeans":) It was fun having someone to relate with and who knew watching people make food would not make us feel like we were going to starve to death!!:) I completely agree that I will never eat soup again and I am pretty sure I will never take Loratab either because the after affects of taking that for 2 weeks straight was almost worse than having my tonsils out!! You need to start blogging more often because I always get a good laugh reading about the excitement that goes on in your life!!:)
Woah. I don't even know what to say....I mean, first of all, I am glad you aren't dead too. Bonus. Next, I have a distinct memory of you digging white things out of your throat with your finger and a flashlight, I'm glad you finally got rid of your tonsils! And last, lets get together- you Brooke and I. When are you available?
We want a card! And thankfully, I'm not pregnant yet either, so expect one from us as well :) And you're lookin' hot by the way!
Even though you went through such an ordeal it still makes me think maybe I should go get my tonsils out so that it will force me to eat nothing but broth for two weeks:)
Your posts are entertaining enough you don't need to post pictures. I on the other hand won't post unless I have pictures to go along with it because I don't have the gift of writing.
I'm glad you are doing better now though!!
Wow! Quite the post. First of all my disclaimer is that in reading this I knew everything had turned out alright so I wasn't worried for you, but MAN I was laughing so hard the whole time. First at all the solutions that Brax had for your mom and second at Tim's "steel" stomach. Glad everything is ok and you guys are on the mend.
Brock
P.S. we want a card
150 N 1100 E Unit 25
Washington, UT 84780
Glad you are feeling better. Keep writing. Love it.
You do look great Kristin! At least you have a little somethin' to show off for your torture! Hopefully Winter will be nice to you guys!
Loved your post. The family pictures are darling. I wasn't prepared to see you with dark hair! It's cute.
Kristin--Seriously I laughed the whole way through this post despite the serious nature. You certainly have comedian (if not vampire) in your blood. I'm with Julie between Brax helping your mom break into your room and then Tim's stomach of steel, I couldn't get enough.
Keep writing!
Post a Comment