I mentioned yesterday that I took all the kids in for their well checks on Friday. Jace for his Kindergarten check, Brax his 3 year well, and Ashlyn her 1 year well. I was ambitious. Jace's friend had already been for his Kindergarten check and gave Jace the lowdown...the doctor will give you a million shots. That is litterally what his friend told him. Apparently to a 5 year old 3 is greater than or equal to a million. His friend told him they would all be in his legs and that it would hurt really bad. (I was trying to stop this conversation as it was happening because I knew the damage that was being done.) I think Jace was imagining get shots in every square inch of his legs. That is probably why the first thing the doctor heard when he walked in the door for three check-ups with our family is Jace saying "Are you going to shot me?". It kind of sounded like "Are you going to shoot me?" because he said it so fast. The doctor looked alarmed and probably wondered what the heck I tell my kids about what will happen when they visit the doctors. Thankfully he has known us since we moved here and just laughed when he realized Jace was talking about shots.
As if the impending shots weren't bad enough, earlier in the week Jace and Braxton were playing one of their favorite made-up games on the trampoline, Kung-Fu Master. The object of the game is to be the last one standing on the trampoline and then you are the Master. Jace outweighs Brax by 25 lbs. and is like a foot taller so Brax has to fight scrappy. Unfortunately for Jace, Brax got a little too scrappy and scratched Jace's eyelid and his actual cornea pretty bad. So this well check on Friday...not even our first trip to see our doctor this week.
Jace was up first and the doctor wanted to check out his eye and see if it was healing. To do that he puts a dye in Jace's eye and then holds up a black light to see if the dye has pooled in the sore. The dye apparently stings really bad and Jace remembered that from earlier in the week so he was not anxious to have it repeated. The doctor tells him "Hold your mommy's hand and when it hurts just squeeze your mommy's hand really hard and it will help it not hurt so much." Jace comes back with "Guess what? When my mommy is mad then she squeezes my arm really hard and puts me in the corner." Ummm...what in the what?!? I almost said that out loud, but refrained and tried to laugh it off without giving away the fact that I could feel my face growing hot. I am at a loss for words after that so I just keep up the weird half-laugh. I mean what could I say...really what? (Just a note here...I really do not abuse my kids in any way. Sometimes when Jace is in trouble he doesn't want to go sit in the corner, so he doesn't go willingly. I then do usually grab him by the arm and steer him to the corner for his stint there. The squeezing is just me keeping him from escaping and running away on his way to the time out chair.) I think great we are 10 minutes in to this and so far Jace has asked the doctor is he is going to shot/shoot him and accused me of hurting him. Good visit so far.
Thankfully, again, the doctor has been seeing us long enough that he doesn't make a big deal of it. He checked Jace's eye out and then moved on the the normal physical exam. I was so flustered by Jace's comments that I didn't notice Braxton hopping from chair to chair until he hopped on the empty doctor's chair (you know the circle seated ones that spin) and launched himself into the wall. He hit with a thud and then fell onto the air vent. Sweet. It was another one of those moments where I was pretty sure that Mother of the Year award was out of my reach this year. He ended up being okay and despite the shots, the rest of the visit passed without any major incidents, but boy was I glad to get out of there.
Two big growing up events in Jaces life the last few weeks. He graduated from preschool and learned to ride his bike without training wheels. (This one we should have done a while ago. We took his training wheels off and Tim was all ready to run up and down the street behind him for a while, but after two or three steps he let go and Jace sped off like a pro.) Jace is such a big help to me now. He looks out for Braxton and Ashlyn and is (usually) so sweet to them. I am so glad he was my first!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I am laughing so hard. That sounds like the majority of my Dr. appt. You have to love what comes out of kids mouths. Jace looks so big in his preschool graduation pic. It is crazy how fast they grow up.
Loved the part about Brax jumping from chair to chair to stool! Sounds like many of my kids visits to the doc. Doctors need to have staff on hand to just watch your extra kiddos...the mothers would adore them if they did!
My kids hate shots too! Down the road you will laugh about that Dr's visit but I would have been at a loss of words too if my kid said something like that:) What do you say at that point, Dr's probably hear the most amazing stories!!:) If only we could prepare for those many moments that I am sure are far from over!!:)
Hilarious! Seriously, I have doctors visits like that all the time. I swear every time I go in I have a story to tell. Don't worry, I don't think you're abusive...grabbing by the arm is nothing! :-) I love the picture with the cow eating Jace's shirt. So funny!
I'm so proud of you for posting so frequently! Keep it up!! I love hearing about your days!
I forgot to tell you about my little brother's adventures with toilets...I will have to tell you some time, but let's just say it includes 5 toilets in 10 days...4 of them totally removed and taken out to the front yard. the culprits...half eaten apple, 3 Polly Dolls (gone swimming in the whirlpool--lodged securely enough that a hose was necessary to extricate them), Batman, Superman and Spiderman on a mission, and finally a solar powered hand-held calculator...The best one is that a week later we saw flashing lights in the dark bathroom and found a flashing ball stuck in the bottom of the toilet...Love Potty Obsessions:)
Post a Comment